Being able to find a certified home inspector near your house, through an organization like the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI) is really helpful. It’s the largest organization of residential and commercial inspectors offering their members and impressive menu of benefits, although their membership varies by state.
Why Hire a Member of InterNACHI?
Not all states require home inspectors to be licensed. That’s why hiring an inspector certified by an organization like InterNACHI is so important. They offer their members and incredible wealth of education to earn their certification, and continuing education as building techniques and code requirements are constantly changing.
You can review the courses that home inspectors can take through InterNACHI, and here’s an example of what’s included in their course, How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior.
Members earn 14 continuing education credit hours (requirements vary by state).
Course material is … 41,851 words, compared to content on Home Tips for Women (articles average 800 words, glossary definitions 250 words).
- Twelve quizzes include a total of 80 questions.
Supporting the course material are 50 photos, graphics, and diagrams (see one borrowed for glossary definition for weep holes).
- Course includes online writing assignments, which means home inspectors who can explain problems found to homeowners.
- A key component of InterNACHI’s education is teaching home inspectors how to complete an inspection report, so this is part of most courses.
- The course involves reading relevant documentation like building codes.
Completion involves a 60-question final exam.
To find a member of InterNACHI, visit InspectorSeek.com.
Why Home Inspectors Join InterNACHI
Many home inspectors are self-employed, which means they wear many hats in running their business. As a member of InterNACHI, they get help in many areas including:
- Business training, tools and documents.
- Home inspection forms and software.
- Marketing training, materials and resources to build their business.